Great teachers are not necessarily systematic thinkers. The very act of teaching is against us – Theodore Roethke
BEFORE YOU COME TO CLASS:
- Have questions from your readings Shoeless Joe, Purdue OWL Guide to Narratives
- Have a hard copy of completed questionnaire with you in class today.
- Reading Quiz
- Questionnaire Activity
- Personality Assessment Fun
In Class Activity #1: INTRODUCTIONS
1. Exchange and read one another’s questionnaires. No speaking. No discussion. No qualifying. (3 MINS)
2. Star your six favorite, most interesting answers. Again, no discussing or qualifying (this is important) from your partner’s questionnaire (5 MIN).
3. Now, discuss the answers you chose (5 MIN)
3. From those, choose three of the most interesting things about your partner to introduce to the class.
4. Add your partner’s name (duh), hometown and major. Then switch (5 MIN).
5. We will introduce one another to the class (20 MIN).
- Read this narrative by David Sedaris (listen to the author read the narrative below). As you read, consider the discussion we had in class today. Be prepared for Wednesday, to further discuss the quality of this piece and “how” it evinces the tenets of good narrative.