- Meet Your Family! Family Names & Grammar Games (synthesize the quizzes)
- Family Read Around & Discussion (Have you been guilty of these, if so, which one and describe how you fall into the “trap” of this style of introduction)
- FE #2: Assignment specs & resources review
- Process with your Family: Purpose to persuade, free-writing
Choose Your Claim: Modern technology is making our generation lonelier or sadder.
Despite the immense changes brought on by technology, it is not responsible for making my generation lonelier or sadder.
- Without looking at the research/can I sum up my feelings on the claim?
- What information have I discovered that surprised me the most? (anecdotal introduction)
- What information will my reader most need to know in order to be persuaded by my claim? (your evidence)
An analysis paper is basically the union of Question #1 to Question #3
Formal Essay #2: Issue Analysis #1: Does technology make us more alone?
Other resources explored in class.
Paper should be at least two and a half typed pages. Have access in class on Monday (hard or digital). Cite any sources used in APA format. Use sources. Be conscious of writing a thesis that presents an arguable answer to the prompts. Be aware of introduction. This is a rough draft for an paper style we will explore IN DEPTH this semester.
- Header: Your name, time of class, Formal Essay #
- SHOW ME! Tell a single story. SOME of you are JUST DESCRIBING CRAP…mostly your feelings. Or you are telling me ALL about something?
- Be concrete…the vagueness game
- Watch tense shifts in verbs. Be aware and read it aloud. If you want to stay in past tense (and for the most part you do, CNTRL + F present tense verbs like “is” and “am” to root out problems.
- Avoid the “and then” … “and then” syndrome
- Passive/active voice
- Don’t miss a chance for direct dialog.
- ww = wrong word / sp = spelling
student work examples.