BEFORE YOU ENTER CLASS:
SPECIAL NOTE: HANG TIGHT if Costal is late to 4pm class, meeting may run late, but I’m gonna do my best to get there on time. If there is time at the beginning of the period, watch the posted video refresher on the Stockton database. IT IS POSTED BELOW!
Remember…we are meeting in our USC computer labs tonight!
Have OFCARL family assignment ready to go!
- Assignment Reviews
OFCARL Family Presentations Preparation:
- Each family will huddle up and review their document.
- As a family, they will present their MOST credible document and LEAST credible documents.
- When called upon, and using the components found in OFCARL, each family will justify their decisions about the articles to the class as a whole.
- After the first round of presentations, each family will take to the STOCKTON DATABASE. Find the best article you can that speaks to your topic (if your topic is too new to be represented on the database, come close to the topic in a general way).
- Walk the class through the following ideas: A. how did you find your article? B. Why did you choose it? C. How might you use this article? Show the class its features.
1. This comes from my old site. Food for thought to help with your next formal paper.
2. Princeton University offers some excellent advice for avoiding plagiarism.
3. Here’s an article from University of North Carolina on “empty writing.”
Formal Essay #4: Persuasive Letter to a Hostile Audience
Read this article by Michael Skube.
Michael Skube provides his e-mail on the bottom of his scathing rebuke of today’s college student.
Here’s his argument broken down for you:
Claim: College students are dumber (and less able to handle the rigor of college) than ever before, and they’re getting dumber all the time.
- They have stopped reading books.
- They don’t know any words.
Evidence: mostly anecdotes from his experience as a teacher/professor & GPA data.
Argument: We’re all doomed if this is our future. We are heading toward an illiterate and destructively ill-prepared adult world.
Write Professor Skube a letter advancing your own argument. Agree with his claim. Or disagree and make your own. Either way, make sure you back up your claim with specific evidence from not only his text, but also at least two other sources. At least one source must be ACADEMIC, PEER REVIEWED from the Stockton database. Have at least three credible sources in the paper overall.
Use class notes/readings/lectures to guide your efforts.
Things to consider: role of schools/teachers, some colleges abolishing SAT scores, most high schools abolishing class rank, technology.
The paper should be approximately four pages.
Evidence backing your claim may also come from your own life or observations. You have been a student, so your opinion is entirely appropriate here.
Works Cited and parenthetical documentation MUST be in APA format.
Due by class time on Monday, November 12th.