Before You Enter Class:
- Have the article and a proposed claim as explained in last week’s post.
- Have read/viewed required assignments from last few classes.
- Be sure you have reviewed the “Clarity” section of Hacker.
- Check your FE #2 grade and feedback.
Opening Family Activity:
- You each should have access to an article from the Stockton database and a claim that could be developed into a thesis (remember the point of this assignment was to work backwards in the rhetorical process).
- Get with your family and share your articles around. Discuss why you picked each one. Explain the claim you believe could be evinced by the article. Then choose the best one (or the best combination of the two). Please do the following steps as a family. Only one article/claim per family, please.
- Print out the article you chose. Or at least, print out the synopsis.
- Go to the shared document and write an APA citation for the article under your family’s name. .
- Write the claim that you believe the article could provide evidence for under your citation.
- Hand me the print out of the article.
- Be prepared to defend your claim/article combo when we re-convene. CLASS WILL RECONVENE AT 6:45pm.
- Opening Activity
- Housekeeping — music, my story
“This American Life” segment (if time, if not this will get moved to assignments)
Informal Essay #4: The same format, scope and development of FE #1. This time the focus is social media. Is it good or bad for you? Except this time, you should know more.
What I want to see:
A. a strategic introduction
A1. A viable, identifiable thesis that narrows and focuses the claim (as we did in class tonight)
B. direct evidence from the provided text (cited and attributed)
C. at least one additional credible resource that provides evidence for your reasoning (cite and attribute)
D. Sufficiency. Most of you are not writing enough, at least NOT developing.
E. Form and function over FANCY, please. The best writing EXPRESSES. not IMPRESSES.