BEFORE YOU COME TO CLASS:
- Read your homework.
- Quiz/Quiz Review
- Narrative Notes Part 1 (To
- Meet Your Families (Start-Up Time & first assignments)
- Family Fun #1 (grammar quiz synthesis)
- Family Fun #2 (Usage Compete)
- Family Fun #3 (Parts of Speech compete…verb off & Ballard article)
- More reading lecture if time
- What is “amazing hour?” Write one sentence describing it and three sentences about how it went for you.
- Do you remember the term “objective correlative?” If so, define it. Tell me how the “money” is an objective correlative in Diaz’s essay.
- In three sentences, describe ONE of the algorithm changes Facebook is toying with. In an additional three sentences, weigh in on the impact of Facebook/social media algorithms on your own life. Is it generally healthy/unhealthy?
- SHOW ME! Tell a single story. SOME of you are JUST DESCRIBING CRAP…mostly your feelings. Or you are telling me ALL about something.
- Be concrete…the vagueness game
- Watch tense shifts in verbs. Be aware and read it aloud. If you want to stay in past tense (and for the most part you do, CNTRL + F present tense verbs like “is” and “am” to root out problems.
- Avoid the “and then” … “and then” syndrome
- Passive/active voice
- Don’t miss a chance for direct dialog.
- ww = wrong word / sp = spelling
student work examples.