BEFORE YOU ENTER CLASS TONIGHT:
- Be prepared to “OFCARL” your publication from family assignment a few classes ago. Have the six questions answered for the articles you read.
- Be sure you have read the two documents and completed the worksheet from Monday. Be prepared to review.
- Because of upcoming cancellation, be prepared to stay until 7:50 (weather permitting)
- Family Time & Presentations
- Stockton Database
- Review new assignments / Review Monday’s assignments
- ALL revisions on FE #2 & FE #3 due by 11:59pm Friday, March 9th.
2. Blog Post #6: Evaluate the Quality of a PEER-REVIEWED or SCHOLARLY article of your choice.
Choose an article from the Stockton database. Click the “scholarly/peer-reviewed” option in the left column.
For each article, answer the OFCARL questions as Blog Post #4 in your blog. In prose form, no bullets please! Discuss how the quality of this article feels compared to others you have read. You can focus on one particularly interesting aspect of your findings.
Please include an APA citation of the article you chose at the top of your blog entry.
3. This comes from my old site. Food for thought to help with your next formal paper.
4. Princeton University offers some excellent advice for avoiding plagiarism.
5. Here’s an article from University of North Carolina on “empty writing.”
Formal Essay #4: Persuasive Letter to a Hostile Audience
**Special note: Hostile audience readings were included in last class’s homework.
Read this article by Michael Skube.
Michael Skube provides his e-mail on the bottom of his scathing rebuke of today’s college student.
Here’s his argument broken down for you:
Claim: College students are dumber (and less able to handle the rigor of college) than ever before, and they’re getting dumber all the time.
- They have stopped reading books.
- They don’t know any words.
Evidence: mostly anecdotes from his experience as a teacher/professor & GPA data.
Argument: We’re all doomed if this is our future. We are heading toward an illiterate and destructively ill-prepared adult world.
Write Professor Skube a letter advancing your own argument. Agree with his claim. Or disagree and make your own. Either way, make sure you back up your claim with specific evidence from not only his text, but also at least two other sources. At least one source must be ACADEMIC, PEER REVIEWED from the Stockton database. Have at least three credible sources in the paper overall.
Use class notes/readings/lectures to guide your efforts.
Things to consider: role of schools/teachers, some colleges abolishing SAT scores, most high schools abolishing class rank, technology.
The paper should be approximately four pages.
Evidence backing your claim may also come from your own life or observations. You have been a student, so your opinion is entirely appropriate here.
Works Cited and parenthetical documentation MUST be in APA format.
Due by class time on Monday, March 19th.